On December 4, 2015, President Obama signed into law a five-year transportation bill that includes hundreds of millions of dollars per year for bicycle and pedestrian projects!

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

How bikeable is your town?

I love riding my bike, but I don't do it as often as I'd like because I'm afraid of traffic and hills. 

I decided to conduct this Bikeability Checklist (pdf) of my route to gymnastics class. On my bike route I discovered:
  • The road lanes were narrow and there weren't many sidewalks or bike lanes. There wasn't much room for bikes and cars to share the road.
  • The road surface was pretty good. I didn't see any potholes, cracks, or dangerous debris like broken glass.
  • The intersections were okay, but could be improved. Most cross streets had stop signs, but there was a lot of overgrown shrubbery and tree branches that made it hard to see cross traffic.
  • Drivers behaved well. I felt like they were watching out for me.
  • My route was mostly flat and I found a convenient place to lock up my bike when I got to gymnastics.
I learned these tips for improving my bike riding experience.
  • Find a class to boost confidence about riding in traffic.
  • Use the bike trail when it's least busy.
  • Keep my eyes on the road to watch out for potholes and other hazards.
  • Ask the city to cut back shrubs and trees at corners.
Using the Bikeability Checklist rating system, I gave my route a rating of 21. That means it's pretty good, but there's always room for improvement. Now, I need to practice riding in traffic and on hills to improve my confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment